Wednesday, January 28, 2009

28:365 Inspiration


28:365 Inspiration
I met this precious gentleman recently while I was visiting a relative in an extended care facility. He caught my attention right away because of the twinkle in his eyes and the spring in his step. He is 94 years old and he was a baker all of his life. He carries around photos of some of his wedding cakes and he showed them to us. He now uses his creativity to make toys for children out of cardboard boxes, cups, string, newspapers, etc. I took a picture of him with some of his toys and materials. That is a train engine in the foreground, and box cars on the shelf behind him. I only hope that when I reach that age, my creative juices will still be flowing, and I use those abilities to help other people. This is theme #159 Inspiration.

15 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

He is, he is, he is and I think Robin Williams played the part in the movie, isn't it great to meet these people, one of the best I met was only 3 and 3/4 but she knew everything and boy did I learn, I imagine her like that in about ninety years.

mljrbg said...

What a sweet photograph. He certainly is an inspiration. I'm so glad he gets to use his creativity and is still making toys. There are a lot of lessons to be learned from this amazing gentleman.

Sheila said...

What a great picture and I agree what a way to go and have that creativity still going! I can only hope......

Chesney said...

That is such a neat picture for the theme! I sure hope when I get to his age that I will still have interests and hobbies - I think that is the twinkle in his eye!

Anonymous said...

He certainly is inspiring and you've captured his warmth and sprakle well.

Sunny said...

What a great portrait! Thanks for the background on it. He's just marvelous!

terricreates said...

You must tell him we all think he is wonderful and how creative he is. I bet he has some great stories to tell. Great picture, tell him too we all say hello.

Candyce said...

this goes straight to my heart. I work in a nursing home and way to often the elderly are so dismissed this was very touching!

DART said...

I just want to hug him! Wonderful story to go along with your inspirational photo! How wonderful that you were able to meet!

Anonymous said...

This is why I've admired your photos all this time Clara. Your eye is connected to your heart.

Nan said...

He certainly seems to be an inspiration--and someone I'd like to meet. Kudos too to the facility he lives in for allowing him to make his creative "messes".

Anonymous said...

I always love coming to your blog, Clara. Everything you post is so well thought out. This is a wonderfully uplifting post and your image is superb.

Debra said...

A very inspiring photo and what a wonderful man.

Anonymous said...

It's always good to meet people like this, nice photo as well!

Anonymous said...

Great story. It's great that his creativity is allowed to flow freely. If we were all so fortunate.
Bo