Wednesday, January 21, 2009

21:365 Folk Tale


21:365 Folk Tale
Eatonton, GA is the home of the Uncle Remus Museum. Eatonton was the birthplace of Joel Chandler Harris who wrote the Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, and Brer Bear stories for the New York Times in the late 1800’s. Brer Rabbit stories are trickster animal folk tales that had their origins in Africa. They are very similar to the Anansi the spider tales and the Hyena stories that children love to read. This statue was erected in 1955, and it is the most photographed statue in Georgia. This is my second chosed theme- Folk Tale

11 comments:

Debra said...

My daughter loved the Uncle Remus stories with Brer Fox; brought back some memories. Very nice photo and I like the framing.

Anonymous said...

That's a neat bit of history, Clara. I like the way you captured the statue, showing a bit of the garden beyond.

Rachel said...

I had Uncle Remus stories on cassette (I know, I know--dating myself!) when I was little (well, the Disney versions, anyway). I LOVED the Tar Baby story and was thrilled when we got to read Joel Chandler Harris in one of my college literature classes. Thank you for posting this picture. I think a trip to GA is in my future!!

Chesney said...

I still have my Uncle Remus books from when I was little - I used to read them with my boys. Nice picture!

terricreates said...

Please don't throw me in that brier patch! Ha ha ha, very nice picture. I would love to visit there.

Candyce said...

Love the story - very nice shot I like that it looks like he's in the brier patch

~Val said...

I remember Uncle Remus! Always loved Brer Fox! Nice picture - and thanks for the memories!

Anonymous said...

Cute image! I also remember Uncle Remus.

Anonymous said...

Great photo for your theme. Good colors. You showed him to the best advantage.

Anonymous said...

I remember Uncle Remus, too! Thanks for sharing the history - nice photo.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful shot. I too remember the stories but this statue is sort of sinister in a way, not just sly...