Friday, March 27, 2009

86:365 Classic


86:365 Classic
I went to a very small high school and I had the same English teacher in the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. I hated her with a passion then, but when I got out into the world, I realized that she had given us a pretty solid background in language arts. She made us read what she called the “classics”. I felt that most of those books were totally dry and boring, but she did spark my interest in John Steinbeck. His books are true classics. This is theme #52 Classic.

9 comments:

Chesney said...

Of Mice and Men - one of my favorites, my boys both read that this year in english as well! Great image!

barbs said...

Great shot of a wonderful old "classic" I like his Travels with Charlie but I think the classic I used to hate and now love is Red Badge of Courage.

Rachel said...

It's amazing how we never truly appreciate our teachers until we are no longer in their class. I felt the same way about my 5th grade teacher! However, you lost me with Steinbeck. I love a lot of the classics (I majored in English Literature in college), but I've always abhorred his work!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Steinbeck even in High School. I developed more of liking when I later lived in his home town of Salinas, California.

Your shot is really nice and a great story to go with it....

Anonymous said...

I love the color and the texture of the book against the nice wood grain, too. A classic good shot!

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

I'm with you, I nearky kissed my English teacher for suggesting Catcher in the Rye, and I don't think that he was that kind of teacher.

mljrbg said...

Nice pick for this theme. It's a well read book with lots of memories from high school.

DART said...

Love this shot! I can't think what I want to write cuz I'm still laughing at Ron's comment--he distracted me!

Anonymous said...

Nice composition and lighting - a good choice for this theme too.