Tuesday, March 24, 2009

83:365 Symbols


83:365 Symbols
This looks simple, but it took just about all of my knowledge of photography and Photoshop to get this image. The photo challenge on Elements Villages this week was Roman numerals. I looked through all of my things and found this old medicine bottle from the early 1900’s. It was found on my parent’s property about 30 years ago. The funny looking symbol at the beginning is an apothecary symbol for ounce, so this reads 16 ounces. Photographing a small symbol on a clear bottle that has stains on the inside and outside was very hard, so I learned some things today. This is theme #315 Symbols.

13 comments:

Chesney said...

this shot is excellent- love the composition and NO glare! You nailed this one!

barbs said...

Ditto what tammy said. Very nice shot - cool old bottle!!

Nan said...

Well done!

Rachel said...

Great job. I love that you shared the background of the symbols.

Anonymous said...

You did a superb job on this one! Really stunning shot that captures the old-time nature of the bottle.

Anonymous said...

How'd you do that? Wonderful shot!

Linda S said...

Looks perfect to me, but I know it difficult to photograph glass.

BobbieCoughlin said...

Well worth the effort, Clara! The lines of the bottle are sleek and elegant; the soft shadows behind it make it stand out.

Anonymous said...

I was impressed when I saw this on the forum, really well done!

Anonymous said...

Well done in sourcing the roman numerals. Never an easy feat. I like what you've done with the photograph. Simple. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

It is really a fine photo, Clara. Well done!

Anonymous said...

I'd say you figured it all out! Glass is so tricky but your shot is excellent!

mljrbg said...

Fabulous shot!! My husband collect old apothocary bottles. I never thought of checking those for symbols/Roman Numerals. Thanks for the idea!!