Thursday, May 14, 2009

134:365 Chalkboard


134:365 Chalkboard
This photo was taken inside the Plains High School Museum at the Jimmy Carter National Historic Site in Plains, Georgia. This is the actual high school that Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter attended. I like this photo because the first room that I taught in looked very much like this. It had more modern desks, but it had the old chalkboard, the oiled wooden floor, and even the unfinished portrait of George Washington. At the end of my career, I was using an interactive white board connected to a computer to teach.

8 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Great Memory for you and Jimmy and Rosalynn, I have taught a little and the switch to whiteboard in my opinion was retrograde, you can do so much more with chalk and Green/black board, even if it was a tad messy.

Rachel said...

Great classic classroom and chalkboards. Nice photo. I like the lighting and contrast of the dark wood against the wall.

mljrbg said...

Those old chalkboards are great but I really love the furniture!!

Chesney said...

I love this old school scene! It does beat the white boards all over the place!

Esther said...

This looks like a school I attended when in elementary grades. Old fashioned chalk boards. I sometimes got to beat the erasers!

Anonymous said...

I echo what Esther said. Sometimes I was allowed to beat the erasers too. :D

It is nice to see George still hanging in the classroom. The furniture is great and love the iron sides on the desks.

Anonymous said...

It made for a beautiful image and I bet it is a really interesting place to visit.

Anonymous said...

Love that old chalkboard. So many classrooms now have white boards that the old chalkboards are hard to find. Great photo!