Wednesday, July 29, 2009

210:365 Risky


210:365 Risky
Polkweed is abundant in Alabama in the summertime. All parts of the polkweed are poisonous to humans and animals except the young leaves that sprout out of the ground in the spring. People boil the leaves three times to get rid of the toxins and make polk salad. I remember going with my neighbor when I was a young girl searching for polkweed in the spring. She made polk salad every year and said that it was very medicinal. Some doctors say that it is risky to eat the leaves even after they have been boiled. The seeds turn dark purple when they are ripe and they are not poisonous to birds. They gobble them up. Theme #261.

6 comments:

~Val said...

Wonderful image; great colors, crisp and sharp, great DOF. Interesting story...I never heard of a polkweed before. Guess it's a good reason not be go gnawing my way through the forest...

Chesney said...

How can something so dangerous be so beautiful, part of the attraction I am sure!

Livet på Citronodlingen said...

Beautiful colors! Thanks for the background info, I didnt know that (but then those do not grow anywhere near here...)

Anonymous said...

Really pretty. I remember Polkweed, but I was a very young girl back then. I don't know if I ever saw them blossom before. I do remember once when I was an adult, there was Polkweed about. I often thought I should pick some and put it in a "green salad - raw" (!!!!!!!!) because I did not remember a thing about Polkweed. Good thing I did not carry through with my thought.

This seed head reminds me of an Abacus for some reason. Guess it is the buttons all in a row.

Nice colorful shot of a weed.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful DOF and the color is amazing. I wonder who figured out you could eat it if you boiled it three times...

lijola said...

Great information and terrific illustration of theme.