Thursday, September 24, 2009

267:365 Travels


267:365 Travels
Not many years ago, if you were traveling in the Southeast or the Midwest, See Rock City barns were common. Rock City officially opened as a public attraction on May 21, 1932. They hired a sign painter named Clark Byers to travel around and offer to paint barns for farmers if they would let him paint the words "See Rock City" somewhere on the barn.
The barns are not quite as common today. This barn is off of Highway 411 in Bartow County, Georgia. There's no place to park and photograph the barn except in the driveway of the home. I was going to stay a bit and get different angles of the barn, but . . . turns out . . . they have a big dog. Theme #337.

7 comments:

Sunny said...

The same thing happened to me just yesterday. I was going to get out to take a picture of a beautiful barn but there was this HUGE dog that started barking like crazy!
Sunny :)

Chesney said...

Stay away from big dogs! They like to eat cameras (LOL) - I was chased down by one not long ago!

I have never seen this rock city thing - how fun is that?

lijola said...

I let large dogs alone, too. Interesting, never heard of Rock City I like your composition.

Anonymous said...

The dog let you get one fine shot anyway. That painter sure got around, I remember seeing these in the Midwest.

Anonymous said...

Big dogs and trying to take photographs simply do not mix. You elected to take the wise way out. :D Nice shot.

Anonymous said...

That brings back fond memories of my childhood! I'm glad you captured this unique bit of Americana - I'm sure they will be disappearing more and more over time. Nice capture with the glowing sunlight in the foreground.

BobbieCoughlin said...

I've seen a few of these on our travels. Thanks for jogging a memory.